Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

England Would Have Made A Better Start Had I Been Playing - Jermain Defoe

Goal.com - 1 hour ago
Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe thinks that the England players all support Fabio Capello to remain on as the Three Lions boss, but admits that they would have made a better start to the World Cup had he featured from the offset.
"Personally I wish I could have done more to help the country than just the goal against Slovenia," Defoe told The Mirror.
"I remain convinced that had I played in the earlier two games we would have got off to a better start than we did."
England crashed out after suffering their worst defeat in their World Cup history, a 4-1 thrashing at the hands of arch-rivals Germany in the Round of 16.
The Spurs hitman does not believe that Capello should be sacked despite England’s disappointing World Cup performance.
"[Capello's] CV is second to none and he has won titles and trophies with four top European clubs and with some fantastic players that way," Defoe added.
"For me personally, he gave me an opportunity and I'd like to think I took it in that Slovenia game.
“And I would like to think, despite what is being said, that he has the respect of the players."
Defoe understands the anger and disappointment expressed by English supporters and media after England’s last 16 defeat against Germany.
"I accept it was a bitterly disappointing World Cup campaign from a group of players of whom everyone expected so much.
"I have seen pictures of kids who had been watching the Germany game crying after the 4-1 defeat. It reminded me of when I was young – it would hurt so much to see England losing. I know the feeling from both sides of the fence.
"I take the point that it can't be fatigue, as the Germans in particular have played more games than us.
"Maybe it's because so many players were under pressure to live up to expectations that it affected their normal game.
"There was boredom out there. But then players are used to that from being away with their clubs. And that soon went as well when the games started and we could break up our days by watching them.
"I don't want to get into any other debates that have nothing to do with me. But I will say that I want to keep representing my country. The feeling seems to be to replace everyone in the England team, but who with?
"The same guys who returned from South Africa will go on to prove this season that they haven't become bad players overnight."
The 27-year-old scored the winner against Slovenia in the group stage that got England into the knockout stages, but was substituted after 71 minutes after making little impact against Germany.

From Yahoo Malaysia Sports

No comments: